Personalization is the ability to retrieve information content related to user profiles and facilitate their information-seeking activities. Several environments, such as the Web, take advantage of personalization techniques because of the large amount of available information. For this reason, there is a growing interest in providing automated personalization processes during the human-computer interaction.
We introduce a new approach for user modeling, which grounds in the Search of Associative Memory (SAM) theory. By means of implicit feedback techniques, the approach is able to unobtrusively recognize user needs and monitor the user working context in order to provide important information useful to personalize traditional search tools and implement recommender systems.
The profile can be employed in search engines, to directly provide personalized results or in distinct re-ranking activities. Contextual advertisements and JITIR are other tasks where user profiles can enhance the result precision. Monitoring the user working contexts allows to provide more updated recommendations related to the current activities of the user.
- GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., SANSONETTI G.. Cognitive Modeling of User Needs in Web Browsing Activities. Cognitive Systems (ESSCS), 7(7-2), pp. 139-164, 2009. Bibtex.
- GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A.. A Deep Evaluation of Two Cognitive User Models for Personalized Search. In Uchyigit, G., Ma M. (eds.): Series in Machine Perception and Artificial Intelligence, Personalization Techniques and Recommender Systems – Vol. 70, pp.3-32, World Scientific Publishing Co., New Jersey, USA, March 2008, ISBN: 9812797017, 2008.
- GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., SANSONETTI G.. Towards Modeling of Information Needs in Web-Browsing Activities, In Proc. of the 25th Annual Workshop of European Society for the Study of Cognitive Systems, Genova, Italy, 2-4 July 2008.
- GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A.. Personalized Search based on a Memory Retrieval Theory. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI), Special Issue on Personalization Techniques for Recommender Systems and Intelligent User Interfaces, 21(2):207-224, World Scientific Publishing, ISSN: 0218-0014, 2007 (Preprint PDF, Preprint of an article submitted for consideration in IJPRAI © 2007 copyright World Scientific Publishing Company) Bibtex
- GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A.. User Profile Generation Based on a Memory Retrieval Theory. In Proc. of the 1st International Workshop on Web Personalization, Recommender Systems and Intelligent User Interfaces (WPRSIUI’05), Reading, UK, pp.66-75, 3-7 October 2005.Bibtex