Alessandro Micarelli is a Full Professor of Artificial Intelligence at Roma Tre University, where he is the Deputy Director of the Department of Computer Science and Automation (DIA). He is also in charge of the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at DIA.
His long term research goal is focused on how AI systems can cooperate most effectively with humans, through harnessing their adaptive power to provide human-system interaction that best responds to users’ needs, interests, cognitive styles and background, as well as to the real-world context in which they are operating. Actual projects range from Adaptive Web-Based Systems, User Modeling and Personalized Search to Recommender Systems and Artficial Intelligence in Education.
He has published more than 150 papers on the above topics.He has helped organize various international conferences and has peer reviewed papers for leading international journals. He has participated in various international research projects, and was the National Coordinator of a PRIN research project on e-learning funded by the Italian Ministery of Education, University and Scientific Research (MIUR). At present he is a scientific consultant at MIUR and member of a Board for the evaluation of Industrial Research proposals.He is a founding member of the Italian Association of Artificial Intelligence.
Courses currently taught:
- 2010-11 Intelligenza Artificiale (270) (Artificial Intelligence)
- 2011-12 Sistemi Intelligenti per Internet (Intelligent Internet Systems)
Selected list of recent papers
- BIANCALANA C., GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., SANSONETTI G.. Social Semantic Query Expansion. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), 2013, Vol. 4, No. 4 (PDF,Bibtex, ©ACM, 2013. This is the author’s version of the work. It is posted here by permission of ACM for your personal use. Not for redistribution. The definitive version will be published in ACM DL)
- BIANCALANA C., GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., SANSONETTI G.. An Approach to Social Recommendation for Context-Aware Mobile Services. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), 2013, Vol. 4, No. 1 (PDF, Bibtex, ©ACM, 2012. This is the author’s version of the work. It is posted here by permission of ACM for your personal use. Not for redistribution. The definitive version will be published in ACM DL)
- BIANCALANA, C., FLAMINI, A., GASPARETTI, F. MICARELLI, A., MILLEVOLTE, S. and SANSONETTI, G. Enhancing traditional local search recommendations with context-awareness, in: Proc. of User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization UMAP-2011, Girona, Spain, 11-15 June, 2011, pp. 335-340.
- MICARELLI, A., SCIARRONE, F. and GASPARETTI, F. A Case-Based Approach to Adaptive Hypermedia Navigation, in: International Journal of Web-based Learning and Teaching Technologies, 4(1), 2009, pp. 35-53.
- GASPARETTI, F. MICARELLI, A. and SCIARRONE, F. A Web-based Training System for Business Letter Writing, in: Knowledge-Based Systems, 22(4), 2009, pp.287-291.
- GASPARETTI, F. MICARELLI, A. and SANSONETTI, G. Cognitive Modeling of User Needs in Web Browsing Activities, in: Cognitive Systems, 7(7-2), 2009.
- SANGINETO, E., CAPUANO, N., GAETA, M. and MICARELLI, A. Adaptive Course Generation through Learning Styles Representation, in: International Journal of Universal Access in the Information Society, 7(1-2), 2008, pp. 1-23.
- GASPARETTI, F. and MICARELLI, A. Personalized Search based on a Memory Retrieval Theory, in: Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, 21(2), 2007, pp. 207-224.
- GAUCH, S., SPERETTA, M., CHANDRAMOULI, A. and MICARELLI, A. User Profiles for Personalized Information Access, in: P. Brusilovsky, A. Kobsa e W. Nejdl (eds.) The Adaptive Web – Methods and Strategies for Web Personalization, Springer, LNCS 4321, 2007, pp. 54-89.
- MICARELLI, A., GASPARETTI, F., SCIARRONE, F. and GAUCH, S. Personalized Search on the World Wide Web, in: P. Brusilovsky, A. Kobsa e W. Nejdl (eds.) The Adaptive Web = Methods and Strategies for Web Personalization, Springer, LNCS 4321, 2007, pp. 195-230.
- MICARELLI, A. and SANSONETTI, G. Case-Based Anomaly Detection, in Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning ICCBR-2007, Belfast, UK, August 2007, Springer, LNAI 4626, pp. 269-283.
- MICARELLI A. and SCIARRONE F. Anatomy and Empirical Evaluation of an Adaptive Web-Based Information Filtering System, in: User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 14(2-3), 2004, pp. 159-200.
- DI NUNZIO G.M. and MICARELLI A. Pushing Underfitting to the Limit: Learning in Bidimensional Text Categorization, in Proc. of the 16th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence ECAI-2004, Valencia, Spain, August 2004, pp. 465-469.
- DI NUNZIO G.M. and MICARELLI A. Does a New Simple Gaussian Weighting Approach Perform Well in Text Categorization, in Proc. of the 18th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI-2003, Acapulco, Mexico, 9-15 August, 2003, pp. 581-586.
- GENTILI G.L., MICARELLI A. and SCIARRONE F. InfoWeb: An Adaptive Information Filtering System on the Cultural Heritage Domain, in: Applied Artificial Intelligence, 17(7-8), 2003, pp. 715-744.
- MICARELLI A. and BOYLAN P. Conversation Rebuilding: From the Foreign Language Classroom to Implementation in an Intelligent Tutoring System, in: Computers & Education, 29(4), 1997, pp. 163-180.
Department of Engineering
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Roma Tre University
Via della Vasca Navale 79, I – 00146 Rome, Italy
Voice:+39 06 5733 3205
Fax:+39 06 5733 3612
Room: DIA 205
Office Hours (students): Thursday 17:30-19:00