His main research interests are in Artificial Intelligence and Symbolic and Algebraic Computation. These typically interdisciplinary areas include aspects of strictly methodological kind (related to mathematical logic and theory of algorithms and data structures, theory and methodologies of programming, computational algebra and constructive abstract), engineering and design (for design and implementation of languages, environments and software systems), application type (related to various fields of science and engineering that leverage methods and tools typical of the area, with particular reference to the field of applied mathematics).
The developed research activity covers all these aspects, and in particular:
- The design and analysis methods, algorithms and data structures for algebraic and analytic problem solving, and for the design and implementation of languages and software systems
- The design and implementation of languages and software systems, with a prevailing interest in the integration of components of algebraic and numerical computing, from theoretical studies on semantics of the two paradigms of computing
- The definition of abstract specific software methodologies for computational methods in algebra and analytical fields, with a prevailing interest in problems of approximate computations
Innovative network systems
The research activities performed in this area concern the study, implementation and testing of software systems, that are able to provide innovative tools for managing data with respect to application services on the network. The adopted technologies are characterized through aspects of integration, security, and ease of use of the proposed instruments. The carried out research has allowed the integration of many theoretical and experimental results obtained in various themes.
- Head of several national and international research projects
- Chairman and member of Program Committees of several national and international scientific conferences
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Symbolic Computation, Academic Press
- Member of the ACM, AICA, AI*IA, IEEE.
http://miola.dia.uniroma3.it/ (teaching activities)
- 2011-12 Fondamenti di Informatica (ing-inf)
- BIANCALANA C., GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., MIOLA A., SANSONETTI G.. “Enhancing Query Expansion through Folksonomies and Semantic Classes” accepted to SocialCom, The 4th ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing 2012, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 3-5, 2012
- BIANCALANA C., GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., MIOLA A., SANSONETTI G.. Wavelet-based Music Recommendation. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST 2012). Karl-Heinz Krempels, José Cordeiro (Eds.). Porto, Portugal, 18 – 21 April, 2012. SciTePress 2012, ISBN 978-989-8565-08-2 (PDF,Bibtex)
- BIANCALANA C., GASPARETTI F., MICARELLI A., MIOLA A., SANSONETTI G.. Context-aware Movie Recommendation based on Signal Processing and Machine Learning, Proceedings of the Workshop on Context-Aware Movie Recommendation (CAMRa 2011), at the 5th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys 2011), pp5-10, October 23-27, 2011. (ACM, 2011. This is the author’s version of the work. It is posted here by permission of ACM for your personal use. Not for redistribution. The definitive version was published in CAMRa ’11 Proceedings of the 2nd Challenge on Context-Aware Movie Recommendation 2011 DOI) PDF , Bibtex
- LIMONGELLI C., MIOLA A.. Elaborazione Algebrica e Simbolica. In Manuale d’Informatica. Calderini Editore. 2000.
- CIONI G., COLAGROSSI A., MIOLA A.. Deduction and abduction using a sequent calculus in: Advances in the Design of Symbolic Computation Systems. In: A. Miola, M. Temperini (Eds), RISC Series in Symbolic Computation, Springer-Verlag, (1997).
- COLAGROSSI A., LIMONGELLI C., A MIOLA.. p-adic arithmetic: a tool for error free computation. In: MIOLA A., TEMPERINI M. (Eds). Advances in Design of Symbolic Computation Systems. RISC Series in Symbolic Computation, Springer-Verlag 1997.
- LIMONGELLI C.. Exact solution of computational problems via parallel truncated p-adic arithmetic. In: MIOLA A., TEMPERINI M. (Eds). Advances in Design of Symbolic Computation Systems. RISC Series in Symbolic Computation, Springer-Verlag 1997.
- LIMONGELLI C., TEMPERINI M.. The uniform representation of mathematical objects by truncated power series. In: MIOLA A., TEMPERINI M. (Eds). Advances in Design of Symbolic Computation Systems. RISC Series in Symbolic Computation, Springer-Verlag 1997.
- MIOLA A.. An Overview of TASSO Project, in: Advances in the Design of Symbolic Computation Systems, MIOLA A. e TEMPERINI M. (Eds), RISC Series in Symbolic Computation, Springer-Verlag, (1997).